Conceptualised and produced a “Maverick” journal takeover.
Andile Ncapai and I found we shared the same sentiment: that the long-standing KZNIA Journal was not quite reflective of the current younger architects in the KZN architecture community.
Together we gathered the troops and set about finding a way to shake things up a bit. The KZNIA Journal Spilt Milk edition was born.
Here’s what I contributed:
- Together with Andile, we researched the topic through focus groups and various other means
- Developed an innovative new brand identity and content strategy to challenge the traditional magazine format and include a presence online and public street art. This was done with the contributions of Maria Criticos and Wes van Eeden.
- Successfully pitched the proposal to the Institute’s major sponsor (Corobrik) and got the nod. With this, I was responsible for cost and resource management
- Worked with Prof Walter Peters, who had edited the journal for the past 30 years, and was allowed to take the reins as co-editor.
- From concept to completion: I took the lead and managed the production process of the publication: Ensuring it ran to schedule, within budget and maintained the highest possible standards.
The cover photo was kindly donated by Andrew McGibbon.